Saturday 16 August 2008

EL MAESTRO DROPS DAS BOMBSHELL

First things first, its good to be back from playing “dead”. Just to set the record straight, I am very much alive and well, and have been playing “dead” for the last week for legal reasons. In fact, the situation has now been resolved, but I’ve just had a very nice week disguised as a musician, introducing the folk of the Broadstairs Folk Festival to jazz/folk fusion. (Thanks to the band for some excellent gigs), also thanks to Larrs for stepping in and doing the last weeks’ episode in my absence, (sorry about dem chillies mate, but hey, at least you died with a smile on your face…)

In between gigs, I had a chance to work on my latest album, “Maestro’s Moods – New age elevator music for the Zen Generation”. It’s the B&Q remix, check it out.

Ok, now I’m going to be a drama queen and drop a piano, (sorry, model B3 Hammond organ w. matching rotary speaker) in the works. Yes, very soon I’m going to have to cut back on my contribution to CWP, in fact, stop for the time being….

[cue], gasps, screams, vomit, sound of a stylus being forcibly removed from a record…

Those of you who know me will know that I don’t like to talk about music on a very technical level, so I’ll put in nutshell thus: up until now I’ve held certain values and recently, I’ve started to question the way I value certain questions. New opportunities have presented themselves which have led me to ask myself if I am questioning certain values as effectively as I could be shelling certain nuts. To these ends I have decided to take a sabbatical from playing in order to focus my lifestyle and my playing and try to find some answers to these values before certainty strikes again and I’m left with a pile of walnut shells and a small army of angry squirrels. Oh, that, and I’m also taking a break from music.

Well, those of you who know me better will be aware that what started as a hobby in computer programming has developed to a stage where I have decided to consider it seriously as a 2nd career. Having gained a scholarship to do postgraduate study in computer science I will be spending a good deal of my time on this over the next year, and I am looking forward to doing something else & making new friends outside of music. Despite the jokes about the line of work, I find the act of developing, making and testing new stuff very rewarding on both a technical and artistic level. Yes, a "nerd" is for life, not just for Christmas, and you can use them for a variety of useful functions around the home including lampshades, doorstops and novelty punchbags....

Thank you all for bringing your great tallents to Caution Wet Paint, Two Glasses, East End Tale and The Fight. It has been a pleasure to work with all of you. Of course, Charles & I still have a few plans up our sleeves and I’ll be back from time to time to do some music or just post comments on the forums…

Words cannot really express emotions, so here, in all his majestic glorious unrellatedness, finally, is Brad Mehldau, (Who? What? Its just a load of wrong notes!!!)

1 comment:

Caution Wet Paint said...

you will be greatly sniffle sniffle missed sniffle sniffle

la p