Saturday 14 March 2009

Pre-Production

Hello, I'm back...in this blog I am going to tell you all about what a make-up artist has to do whilst in pre-production for a project.

When I have landed a job, and once the director has sent me a copy of the script, I print of the script and read through it, taking notes on any part in which I think they might need any special make-up requirements. The second step I take, is I arrange a meeting with the director and discuss any ideas he might have regarding any hair/make-up/wig requirements; as well as talking about my own ideas, which I have noted down next to the part on the script.

After the meeting; if there are any special products needed, I tend to go to Charles.H.Fox which is on Tavistock street in covent garden and buy the products needed for the shoot (always remember to keep the receipt to give to the director or producer so they will be able to reinburse you of the spenditure)

It is always easier for yourself if the director can send you any pics of the cast, that way you can create a face chart of the design according to the cast member/ character.

The last and final step...production, personally I always prefer to try and get to the location at least 15mins before my own personal call time, since I like to take my time setting up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandma used to spend 3 hours each day "making her face" (shes from the States).

That was until we swapped some of her sticks for permanent pigments...

One of the few redeeming features of my family was their omnipresent sense of humor...

Anonymous said...

One of the things I have always loved about working with Debra is her attention to detail!