Wednesday 22 April 2009

24 Hours in the life of...

...El Director...



(that's me, yey!)

All right, Tue 21st April was an exceptionally busy day, but I thought I would share it with you, just to show how much you can pack into 24 hours, should you decide to do so.

And so here goes. From 12am-1am, was on the tail end of a shift. It was not a night bus, but what is referred to as a 'late-turn' (starts in the afternoon and finishes early morning). I cycled home, grabbed a quick bite to eat and by 2.30am I was editing Jay and Kay Save the World.



Now, the reason I stayed up late to edit was quite simple. El Maestro. As part of the music composition for the film, he wanted a more accurate cut of the short so he could finalise the music score. Although I gave him a scratch edit last week, the picture had changed very much from that version. It was slicker, some of the lines have been cut out and the rhythm and the beat of the film had changed. It was a lot punchier.

As Nick was going to put some live recordings into Jay and Kay Save the World, I had to make sure he received as finalised a version as possible.

By 6.30am, I had uploaded this draft version to my website. Nick could then download it and see the improvements but more importantly had something to work on in terms of the finalised picture. To be honest, I will be editing and chopping and changing right until the end of May, but I will be only adjusting by frames rather than changing great chunks of the film.

Then recorded a quick video for vlogsup, which is down below on yesterday's post, as Tuesday is my day to vlog.

Slept. Joyful sleep. Got up midday, so got my six-ish hours of sleep. If I am not working the following day, I can happily live off five hours. Otherwise, I need to get seven hours to feel funky. Then back to editing, but a distracted one. Filled with e-mails and other bits of tedious bits and bobs. I suppose I improved on the edit I sent to Nick. A few frames here and a few frames there, plus a more accurate version of the ending. Still, I can see some parts getting changed as time goes on.

Oh, and as our washing machine is still broken, today was also a good day to go to the launderette and wash the clothes. Two hours of washing, and drying mixed in with uploading zip files to the website so Nick has a better idea of where the latest version of CWP is going to go.

Then on towards the evening. After making some phone calls, I took out the family for dinner. As a family, we had not gone out in a long time, so I took them for Ethiopian in order to sample the delights of teff and real coffee at one of my favourite restaurants in London (and the only place in the UK where I actually enjoy the coffee). Often as a family, we are very busy and independent of each other so it was good to actually spend some time together.

And then onto this evening, and to writing this blog before heading back to the editing...

---

So there you go. A balanced diet, exercise, housework, normal work and film work all fitted into one day, along with a little sleep. Productive, which was the main thing and surprisingly relaxing. Or is that the coffee talking?

No comments: