Monday 15 June 2009

The Reasons...

Although this blog often has me moaning about the trials and tribulations of making a film, it is a lot better than being in the real world.

---

This is what happens in the real world. Get up, brush teeth, toilet, shower, breakfast, commute. Get to work. Eventually. Sit at a desk, all day, every day. Sealed up in a suit, tie and air conditioned building. 45 minutes to grab lunch, then back to office desk. Sit at desk, knowing quietly in own heart that any trained monkey could easily do the things that are being done now. Take orders from a manager who has half the brains of self. Flirt with the younger/newbie in the office; the breath of fresh air, still clinging onto hopes and dreams of a youth not tarnished by pension plans, a saving pot for a mortgage deposit and direct debits for gas, phone and electricity bills. 5pm, work is not done so carry folder back onto tube network. Crush and sweaty armpits all the way home, tosser bus driver who leaves passengers standing in the rain.

Back home, 'work' left on table, next to empty bottles of wine, that give the illusion of immortality, but in the end, they just confirm, in the cold vulnerability of a bed, just how lonely and pathetic life has turned out. And it begins tomorrow morning. Again.

---

Film making is not glamorous. It certainly is not easy. And it is very unpredictable. It is the clinging onto hope that is often one of the worst aspects of making films, but it is a hope that is worth clinging onto. Far more satisfying than clinging onto the hope of a mortgage repayment and a wine weekend in Wiltshire. For that is all there is to look forward to from the ordinary life. Life is a struggle full stop. So in my opinion, it has to be something worth struggling for.

People have asked me why I bother with writing and directing films. Especially the concept Caution Wet Paint which does go over the heads of many viewers. It is simple, I want to tell a story. That is always what I have wanted to do. I would be lying if the attractions attached to filming were not an incentive, they are. But they are not the driving reasons. Money and the dividends that come with it are easier reached through business, or even now, still, working in The City, despite the recession. But my primary passion, my ultimate goal, has been to tell a story, to share the emotional rollercoaster of a film with my audience. To create something new, and the most important of the lot, to give film lover more bang for their buck. For me, this is something that is worth struggling for. Worth worrying for. Worth living for.

---

As I correct the colours for Jay and Kay Save the World, I am slowly seeing the pieces come together of a project that has taken already nine months of my life, since the first inception of the idea based on the original outing of Goldtop and Silvertop. That is a long time for a ten minute short. But such is the importance that I have placed on telling this story, the love that I have for it, for me, it is worth the struggle. It is my reason for continuing with this project.

Plus, the prospect of leading an ordinary life, as you have already read in this post, fills me with dread.

1 comment:

El Maestro said...

[HOMER SIMPSON] mmmm.... wine weekend in Wiltshire...