Thursday 30 July 2009

Thoughts behind cutting the trailer

All right, so I cut a trailer for 'Jay and Kay Save the World', finally, after racking my brains out for what seemed an eternity. SO what was going through my mind.

1) The right sound.

Believe it or not, sound is crucial during a trailer. Do I have music and a deep bass like voiceover or insert witty snippets from the film? In one minute, sound can have a crucial impact on the style of a trailer.


2) How much of the story do I give away?

Without revealing the 'plot' of 'Jay and Kay Save the World', I had to calculate, what could go in and what could not.


3) The iconic shots.

Without revealing the context in which they were shot, what 'beauty' shots do I put into the trailer. They have to be alluring, without revealing exactly what they are.


4) Graphics.

Finally, what graphics do I use to represent the titles of the film. Each font, each effect used gives a difference appearance to the trailer and must be carefully chosen.


5) The length.

Considering the film is ten minutes long, the trailer itself should not be too long. SOmething just over a minute should be fine.




---

The biggest constriction is actually the time. Both of the short film (ten minutes) and of the trailer itself. A 90 second trailer is not a long time and with only ten minutes of actual film to gleam footage from, there is a lot of scope for repetition in the trailer - something that must be avoided. But I managed to do it, and so...well, let us see...

No comments: