Tuesday 1 September 2009

Scripting

I like writing. But I have quite a methodical way of writing. There are a few patterns in how and what I do.

I make sure there is a beginning, middle and an end. Although I can be a fan of life narratives', I personally like to have an event in my story that is linear, no matter how insignificant it is to the rest of the script.

ie: Boy meets girl, girl's father wants to kill boy, boy runs off with girl and lives happily ever after (the basic script for CWP the Feature length).


I also like to open with complete calm, and then a few moments later flip the adrenaline on. It wakes up the audience from their slumber.

ie: A calm opening credits is then slashed to pieces by a woman running desperately from an alleyway (opening moments of An East End Tale).


I also like to start the script in one direction, and change directions a few minutes later.

ie: Jay and Kay are arguing in suburbia, before they are beamed up into space by an alien milk bottle. (Jay and Kay Save the World).


I am also a notorious slasher. Especially when it comes to the beginning. I like to get to the point of the film as quickly as possible. And often on the second or third rewrite, I can loose twenty pages on a feature length script. My blog posts do not follow this pattern.

I have been sent a script by an acquaintance via e-mail. I had a look at it. The story does have a beginning, middle and an end. However, it takes a little while to get started. Also, there are no surprises in the script until much later on, when it does actually take a real turn. However, by this point the audience is long gone. Overall, I actually like the basic story of the script, but the way it is executed needs to be tightened up for film. For a first draft it shows potential. Now I have written up my thoughts, it is time to tell the acquaintance what I think...

No comments: