Thursday 17 July 2008

The Big Office

Today was another step in the direction of Corporate Wet Paint. Now, I make no illusions to this as El Director. I want to become corporate for one very big reason - I want the world to see the creation of Jay and Kay. Also the money is there...

Since Cannes, things have become far more serious in the film making world. Today was one of those days. It is not everyday that you get to meet up with the European Product Manager of a major Camera Firm. Yep, this guy deals with all of Europe, the EU, the world's richest trading block when it comes to big chunky professional cameras. And I had a breakfast one-to-one with him.

I did not blag, pretend or cover-up during this meeting. After all, I am a potential customer, so I told him what I thought of his equipment (they are damn good), what I am looking for as a film maker (his target market), and what I would like to see his company do and how they could appeal to me (stop being too technical).

I also told him of his competitors and told him what they are doing right (marketing) and wrong (technical). Essentially his company produces the best products, but has not engaged the film maker and so has to compete ferociously with its rivals.

We also touched upon how we could work together. 'Wow' puts it into context. I do admire his company and when I upgrade my camera, odds are that I will buy his equipment. I am already a happy customer and I know his products will work. I have used other camera and I have not been able to achieve the same results, usually as they are flimsy pieces of kit. And yes, I would love to get my hands on a piece of his equipment. He did not have to sell me his camera, if I had the cash, I would buy his stuff tomorrow.

Overall, a very interesting meeting. The future is open to many possibilities and today could have been a possibility. But for now, it is time for me to get back to that opera!

No comments: