Thursday 4 June 2009

Countries El Director loves

As can be seen on my own blog, I love traveling. Having come through India, it is clear that if it was not for the joys of filming, my home would be on the road, somewhere, somehow. It is also quite clear that I love India. There is no one country that I have hated while traveling, but what countries do I truly love, alongside India?

1) America. I love the USA! It is a country that you can have fun in. Yes, many people may disagree with its policies, but man I absolutely love this country! And it is a vast land, with so much to offer the visitor. If you have never done America, then do it!

2) France. I love France! I love the people (wonderful), I love the food (fantastic), I love the society (relaxed). You do not have to speak that much French to get a response, the people appreciate the effort rather than an 'argy-bargy' of English. Also it is another vast country - what other country in the EU can boast of one of the most active volcanoes in the midst of the tropics?

3) Singapore. Oh yes, after hard traveling around Asia, Singapore is the perfect stop over destination. Clean, safe, efficient, relatively cheap with tropical weather and fantastic food. I love Singapore!

4) Mexico. While Mexico does have vast amounts of problems, it is a fascinating land, filled with an ancient history. Temples on every corner, deserts and forests, a beautiful coeastline. Another great place for foodies, I love Mexico!

5) Seychelles. Yes, I am a Seychelllois, but that does not mean I am bias. I too can see the faults in this little island (mainly the incompetents who run the country), but it is still a paradise. Great food, great weather, great women - what more would I want from a country? I love the Seychelles and I am proud to be a citizen of these islands!

There are no countries that I truly hate in this world, nor are their countries that I would never rule out. However, there are parts of the world that I have to give a little warning about, due to my own experiences. Each of these places I would love to visit again, but not without a major change in the circumstance of the country or in my own self. They are:

1) Kazakhstan - A stunning country with some of the most beautiful women around. Also very friendly locals who are some of the most fun you can ever have. This is tempered by officials who will attempt to steal from you at every corner. This is not just bribery and corruption, but highway robbery. It makes Kazakhstan a shitty place.

2) Sri Lanka - I love my father's country, and I can easily say that it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. but wars make a land really shitty. And it has been one very brutal civil war. Like Seychelles, this has been ruined by politics, but in so much more, a nasty way.

3) UAE - Yep that's right, Dubai. I am not a big fan of the Gulf States, but the UAE takes the piss. If you are white, then enjoy it, but I am African/Asian. This is not a place for anyone with the slightest tan. While the African and Asian immigrants are a load of fun to hang out with, there is just a nasty feeling of ill will in the air. I have never been treated so badly due to the colour of my skin, and I have traveled in Salisbury. These guys had the money to build paradise, but they could not even build a cheap imitation of suburban USA. Awful.

No comments: