Wednesday 3 June 2009

Sound Editing - the continuation of pain

So I am currently bashing my head doing the sound editing for the CWP short, but what exactly does this editing involve?

Well, firstly, we have to get to how many of these effects are created. The bulk of my sounds have come from my computer. I have a piece of editing software that comes with a bundle of loops and other foleys which I can instantly plop into the edit and create my soundscape.

However, a lot of them is good old fashioned recording into a mic. And in this picture, taken from my sound editor you can see just that. The snap shot of the video in the picture shows NIck and myself busy recording sound straight into the camera via the boom mic. El Maestro looking on gravely while I try to do my best impersonation of Captain Goldtop.



But then comes the fun. Manipulating the voice of 'evil', the voice of the main bad guy, Captain Goldtop. How do you make him more wicked? After all, I am such a sweet sounding director, how could I possibly be the voice of evil ;)

And that is where the manipulation comes in. I distorted the clip, just a bit, to bring out the lower frequencies in my voice. Rendered it and then sent it back to the timeline to insert into the edit. Essentially, to sound bad, I just put on the bass and increased the funk – yeah baby!

No comments: